Thursday, 25 June 2015

Ta Daaa!!

Here is the completed rim, a nice Ta Daaa picture opportunity. Hubby eventually managed to take a picture I was happy (ish) to post.

The curved sides were reinforced with small mahogany braces, the invaluable clothes peg making another appearance.

The neck block will be visible from the soundhole on the completed instrument so I sign it with a pyrography (wood burning) tool. I've been using this logo for various things since I was a teenager.

Then I moved onto joining the back of the guitar and cutting up some old furniture retrieved from the fire wood pile to make a Go-Bar press. This is basically two flat surfaces that you can brace timbers between to act as clamps. In my case I use a wide fixed desk and the floor beneath it. My, still shiny and new, bandsaw made it possible to cut strips of wood approximately 1/2 inch square.

Here is the back strip being glued in place in the Go-Bar press. As you can see you would need some very long reach clamps to do this any other way. The most important part of this procedure is remembering to shut the office door while it dries...

"No Jessie, that is NOT YOUR STICK!"


  1. I find it quite impossible to understand why guitar players compare their guitars to women.
    Even BB King called his many guitars, "Lucille"

  2. Most of my guitars are named after guitarists I admire. Except Martina, the first one I built. A Martin guitar kit built by a female luthier, Martina seemed a good choice, if a little corny.

  3. That is basically two flat surfaces you could brace timbers between to behave as clamps. In my case I take advantage of a wide fixed desk as well as the floor beneath it.